In order to get an accommodation in France, it is compulsory to take out a home insurance policy and it is advisable to take out a civil liability insurance policy which protects you in case of an accident. There is a wide range of online insurance offered to students.

What you need to know about these 2 insurances during your stay in France:

Home insurance

Civil liability insurance

Cancelling insurance


You can bring cash for the first few days, but for more peace of mind, check with your bank that your bank card works in France.

ATMs are plentiful and payment by credit card is very common, even for small amounts.

Opening a bank account in a French bank can be useful during your stay. It will allow you to obtain a RIB (bank account number) which will be required for many administrative procedures, such as applying for benefits.

Opening a bank account in France

Closing a bank account

Still have questions ?

Appli UA

The free UA application gives you access to your timetable, your dematerialised student card and a whole range of practical and contextualised information (maps, dining hall menus, seats and group study rooms at the university libraries, personalised alerts, news and much more). Activate the notifications to find out everything in real time, including last-minute course cancellations or classroom changes. Download the app on GooglePlay or at the AppStore.