fr | en
Bienvenue à l'UA

Separated by coma

Welcome to UA!

Services made available to international students:

  • Help, advice and guidance for all formalities (visa, CVEC, health, etc.)
  • French courses
  • Meeting local students with the Buddy System UA
  • Trips and cultural outings
  • Discovering UA
  • Answers to any questions you may have

Steps to follow when you arrive

When you arrive at UA, there are certain administrative formalities to handle. This entire website is dedicated to helping students who arrive at UA and we have put together this list to help you settle in at UA, in Angers and in France.

  • Take part in the orientation programme

    The International Welcome Office offers a hybrid orientation programme to facilitate your transition, regardless of your arrival date.

    The online orientation programme

    Part of this orientation programme will answer your questions concerning your arrival and your formalities.

    The on-site orientation programme

    The second part of the orientation programme will offer you activities and opportunities to meet other students.

    Registration for activities will start on 3 January 2022.

  • Enrol at UA (CVEC, student card, etc.)

    Exchange students

    You can register for courses and get your student card by making an appointment with the Faculty's Student Administration Office.

    1. Go to your faculty's Student Administration Office to register.
    2. Collect your school certificate and student card.

    Non-exchange students

    Non-exchange students must pay the enrolment fee and the CVEC (Student and Campus Life Contribution) before they can register at the university. This contribution is intended to improve campus life and student support, and it is due each year.

    Enrolment fees:

    • Bachelor's degree: 170€
    • Master's degree: 243€
    • Engineering diploma: 601€
    • Doctorate: 380€

    CVEC : 95€

    1. How to pay the CVEC

    If you need to apply for a visa to study in France, do not pay the CVEC until after you have obtained your visa.

    2. Register with the faculty

    • Enrol directly at the Student Administration Office of your faculty and present your CVEC receipt
    • Get your enrolment certificate and your student card

    PASS SUP student card

    The Pass'Sup multi-service card is your student card.

    It allows you to:

    • justify your status (e.g. as identification for exams),
    • borrow documents from the University Library (BU),
    • to have 2 electronic wallets for eating at the RU and printing documents at the BU,
    • to register for sports activities at the SUAPS
    • to benefit from student rates for concerts, shows and events organised by the Culture Department.
  • Join the Buddy System

    If you have not yet signed up for the Buddy System, now is the time! It will allow you to get a Buddy Mentor (local student), who can help you with certain formalities and help you discover the city and local student life.

    Sign up for the Buddy System here

    If you need to apply for a visa to study in France, do not sign up for the Buddy System until after you have obtained your visa.

  • Make an appointment with the International Welcome Office

    When you arrive at UA, you can make an appointment with the International Welcome Office.

    During this appointment, we will register specific information that allows us to stay in contact with you and we will inform you of specific services for international students throughout the year. You can also get help for certain administrative formalities: Visa, CVEC (student and campus life contribution) life at UA, health insurance, etc.).


    Make an appointment

  • Sign up for French courses

    The French language center (CeLFE) offers free French courses throughout your studies at UA. Some courses may be subject to ECTS points depending on your status and study program.

    You can also sign up for certification sessions to validate your French proficiency skills with a diploma.

    For more information, visit the CeLFE webpage.

    Contact: celfe @ univ-angers

  • Validating your VLS-TS student visa

    The validation of the long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (VLS-TS) is entirely dematerialised and must be carried out at the latest within 3 months of your arrival in France.

    To validate your residence permit, go to

    To validate your VLS-TS you will need

    • A valid e-mail address
    • The information on your visa,
    • To provide your date of arrival in France,
    • to provide your address of residence in France,
    • A payment card to pay the residence permit fee online.

    If you do not have a payment card, you can purchase an electronic stamp at a Tabac (a small French kiosk) and pay it in cash.

  • Take out health insurance

    Compulsory health care insurance

    In France, health care insurance is compulsory and free if:

    • you do not hold a European Health Insurance Card,
    • you enrol in a French higher education institution for the first time.

    The French health insurance scheme allows you to be reimbursed for up to 70% of your medical expenses.
    To register, visit the website (in French) and review the procedure.
    You can also watch the Campus France video "Everything you need to know about health insurance before arriving in France"

    As soon as you have enrolled at UA:
    • Make an appointment with the SSU (on-campus medical services) or the International Welcome Office to get your health check done,
    • Start carrying out the formalities to register with the public Health Insurance, Caisse primaire d’assurance maladie (CPAM) and get most medical expenses reimbursed. To register, go to the Ameli website (available in English).
    How can I get reimbursed for treatments or medical appointments?

    Once you have had you health check done and registered with the public health care insurance CPAM or Caisse primaire d’assurance, you should send them the following documents:

    • The “feuille de soins” (treatment form) handed out by your doctor at the end of your consultation,
    • A RIB (“relevé d’identité bancaire” = bank account details),
    • A copy of your student card,
    • A copy of your European health card (European students only).

    Postal address
    CPAM de Maine et Loire
    32 rue Louis Gain
    49937 Angers Cedex 9

  • Take out a complementary health insurance

    Taking out a complementary health insurance is not compulsory but highly recommended: It will cover the remaining 30% of the medical expenses that are generally not covered by the compulsory health care insurance.

    The amount of reimbursement may vary depending on the insurance policy.

    You can find information on complementary health insurance on the website.

  • Open a French bank account

    You can bring cash for the first few days, but for peace of mind check with your bank that your bank card works in France. There are many cash dispensers and payment by bank card is very common, even for small amounts.

    Opening a bank account in France

    Opening a bank account in France generally requires a little time and several documents. The whole procedure can take up to 2 weeks.

    Simply follow the steps below:

    • Go to a bank of your choice to make an appointment with a bank advisor
    • Prepare all required documents prior to your appointment:
      • Passport or ID card
      • Proof of accommodation:If you are staying in a hall of residence, ask the administrative office of the residence. If you are not staying in a hall of residence: ask your landlord
      • Enrolment certificate (“Certificat de scolarité”). This document is generally provided to you when you enrol with your faculty/department. You can also print it from your personal account on the students’ web portal (ENT Etudiants).

    The bank may request that you make a small deposit to the account when opening it.

    You will also be given a “Relevé d’identité bancaire” or “RIB” (document showing all your bank details), which is useful for various procedures such as renting a bike or getting a bus pass, being reimbursed for medical expenses, etc.

    Once your account is open, according to the bank agency conditions, you receive a credit card within ten days

    Closing a bank account

    Many banks require an official letter (in French) specifying the closure date of your account.

  • Take out home and liability insurance

    Home insurance

    Home insurance is compulsory in France if you rent a room or an apartment (including a room a university student hall of residence). It covers risks such as fire or water damage.

    If you are staying in a room at a university student hall of residence, it is to be paid online when you apply for the room.

    If you are renting a private apartment or room, please note that French law also requires this insurance.

    Civil liability insurance

    Also called accident insurance. It covers accidents caused to a third party.
    However it is often part of the home insurance, so be sure to verify before taking out this insurance.

  • Find more practical information

    If you have questions regarding accommodation, grants, transport, healthcare, sports, cultural activities, the Infocampus Student Helpdesk can help you.

    Visit the Infocampus helpdesk to get all the information you need on student life and administration procedures. And in addition, the Infocampus ambassadors speak several languages!

    More information on the InfoCampus help desk page.

Covid information

See the instructions of the Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs:
> Coronavirus - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France
> France Diplomacy


The International Welcome Office
"La Passerelle"
Belle-Beille campus
2 rue Lakanal
49045 Angers cedex 01

Exchange students @

Free movers
bienvenue @

Word of welcome

Download the UA App

The free UA application gives you access to your timetable, your dematerialised student card and a whole range of practical and contextualised information (maps, dining hall menus, seats and group study rooms at the university libraries, personalised alerts, news and much more). Activate the notifications to find out everything in real time, including last-minute course cancellations or classroom changes.

Download the app on GooglePlay or at the AppStore.

Still have questions ?